Sapa Market






After lunch, I went to investigate the town. Although Sapa is chock full o' tourists, it was fascinating to walk among all of the Hmong men and women dressed in their traditional attire, as they had done centuries before. They looked so honourable and proud. It was the same feeling that struck me when I saw the Masai in Arusha, Tanzania.

The market was a huge highlight for me, watching everyone go about their daily business, selling brightly coloured crafts, vegetables and products, bargaining and socializing. You just can't help but get caught up in it all.

Little girls will approach you everywhere you go and try to sell you little trinkets, such as friendship bracelets and charms. It is very difficult to say no, especially because they are so darned cute and so darned persistent!

I can't begin to tell you how many times a little Hmong girl would cling to my pant leg and say, "You buy friendship bracelet from me?" And I would reply, "No thank you, I already have one." Then she would persist, "How about two?". And I would again say "No thanks."

This game usually persists for 5 minutes until finally the little girl would put me in an awful, awful position. She would just silently place the friendship bracelet in my hand and say, "For you, for free." And flash me the cutest smile. Sighing, I would say, "It's yours though." And she would repeat, "You're my friend. For you, for free."

So of course, feeling like a big jerk, I would take a few notes from my wallet and then thank her for the lovely friendship bracelet. A friend in need is a friend indeed.

No comments: